July 29, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 31): When I Grow Up I want to Be....

Welcome to Week 31 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012.  We are writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to record your memories. Just take a few minutes and write.

I've been thinking about the dreams we have as young adults. Some of us want to be firefighters or nurses or astronauts. What did you want to be when you grew up?

My first career dream that I remember having, was when I was about 11 years old. I wanted to be an archaeologist. I loved history and when I found out there were jobs that allowed you to dig  up cool stuff from the past, I was hooked.

A few years later I'd decided I should be a spy or a detective. I loved puzzles, loved solving them and I loved mysteries. My best friend and I took to trailing strangers for hours, sometime for an entire day, in order to perfect our spy skills.

I think I was around 16 when I decided I wanted to pursue a career in Art. I desperately wanted to go to Art College when I was finished Grade 13. That didn't happen, mainly for financial reasons, so I decided to be a teacher. Some change, huh? It was a practical choice as there weren't a lot of options for women back then - we were pushed towards careers of nursing, secretarial or teaching. So teaching it was!

Many years later I decided to pursue a career in psychiatry and so I went back to University and got my degree in Psychology. I wanted to continue with a two year course to become an Art Therapist with children but once again the fates conspired against me. It was not to be.

But boy it's been fun having all these dreams and pursuing many of them. And the only thing I've ever regretted is not being able to go to Art College. How about you? Dreams? Regrets? Did you pursue the first thing you ever wanted to be? Or did you try out many careers before settling on one?

No comments: