August 5, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 32): Spirit of Britain and Other Parades

Welcome to Week 32 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012.  We are writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, please take a peek at the last two years of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to record your memories. Just take a few minutes and write.

Lorine as Spirit of Britain
When I was a young girl, we often headed out to what was then called The McDonald-Cartier Freeway (now Highway 401) to see royalty pass by. Once I saw Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip and I remember thinking how handsome he was!

Another time I saw a Queen or Princess of Holland - the name Beatrice comes to mind but my memory could be wrong.

The Highway was a hop, skip and jump from our house in Ajax. Our street ran parallel to the railroad tracks which ran parallel to the Highway. So it was perhaps the equivalent of a block or two away. Having the Queen visit Canada was a big deal and we always made a point of going to stand at the side of the road, then cheer and wave as she went by.

The photo above is me ready to participate in a parade. You can see the trees behind me and beyond the woods were the railroad tracks and the highway. I don't know what the parade was for but I sure liked what I was wearing! I remember how excited I was to be in that parade.

Do you remember any special parades or events when you were young?


No comments: